Welcome Friends

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Briana Carr-Receptionist Extraordinaire


If you haven't had the opportunity to meet Briana-you should. Her happiness is contagious and she is so good at remembering everyone that walks into the football office. We want to thank her for all she does. Enjoy learning about what a fun person she is.




Has football always been your favorite sport?
Yes. Always. I used to complain that my dad would make my sisters and I watch it, but then I performed in the Pre-Game and Halftime Show of the 2002 Pro-Bowl in Hawaii, saw Marshall Faulk, and fell in love.

When did you start working in the office?
I started working in the BYU Football Office in January 2009. I can't believe it's almost been three years. It's weird to see faces of players that I remember before they left for their missions!

Do you have a pre-game ritual?
My pre-game ritual usually involves me getting up early on Saturday morning, making myself breakfast and watching College GameDay on ESPN. My ritual will have to change a little bit this year, considering some of the games are on Friday's.

Do you have a good luck charm?
No good luck charms. Maybe I should get one?

What are your hobbies?
I'm really into my major (Broadcast Journalism) and everything that accompanies it, Twitter in particular. I'll admit it right now, I'm a Twerp.

What is your most memorable sports moment ?
Freshman year at Weiser High School, I was a starter on the Girls Basketball Team. We were in the Semi-finals and a Middleton High School girl stepped on the baseline to try to save a teammate's poor pass. The referee didn't call it out-of-bounds. I was frustrated and said, "She stepped on the line" under my breath. He blew his whistle and gave me a technical.
My Head Coach (who just so happened to be LDS) laughed and asked why I was given a technical. The referee replied, "Coach. I heard her say 'Jesus Christ' under her breath." Parents of both teams that knew me (and knew that I was LDS) were laughing hysterically at the blown call.
Let's just say, I haven't been a huge fan of officials since that point. :)

What are your plans after college?
I'm going to try to build up connections while I can (can't believe this is my senior year...) and hopefully become a Live Sports Broadcast Director at one of the pro sports teams on the West Coast.

What is your major?
I'm a Communications Major, emphasizing in Broadcast Journalism.

What are you doing this summer?
Earlier this summer I worked as an Intern at Dateline NBC at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York City. I was an Assistant Producer and helped with taping, logs, and shoots.
The last half of my summer has been spent in the office, just getting everything squared away and geared up for this season! It's going to be a great one!

What games are you planning on attending?
I'm planning on attending all of the home games, at least. Through my major (Broadcast Journalism) they may send me to a few away games.

What is your favorite BYU football moment?
I remember nervously watching the BYU vs. U of U game in 2006. I was pacing my sister's apartment in Provo. When Jonny Harline caught that pass with no time left on the clock... I threw open her front door to scream and heard chants all the way up and down her street, "B-Y-U! B-Y-U!" Great moment.

What is your favorite movie?
I obviously have a large collection of sport-based movies. It's hard to beat "Remember The Titans," but I have always had a love for "MIRACLE." Something about great Olympic Game moments that just gives me goosebumps.
(Can't you hear Herb Brooks' whistle now? "Again!" ...classic.)

What is your most embarrassing sports moment?
I can't really think of one for ME. But I remember my first week at work with Holly (the other secretary) and a man walked into the office. He said hello to both of us, we said hello back. Holly turned to me and said, "Who was that?" I laughed for a good ten minutes.
It was Coach LaVell Edwards... no big deal.

What is your nickname around the office?
Coach Mendenhall and Coach Doman have given me a variety of different nicknames since my first day. When they found out I was Coach (Bishop) Reynold's Relief Society President my freshman year... I became "President."
Earlier this year, "President" turned into "Captain." And recently, I've been promoted as "Captain" is now, "Admiral." :)

What is your favorite Coach’s quote or saying?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Family members, age:
Parents: John & Cheri Carr
Two Sisters: Stephanie Ellersick & Vanessa Rucker (25 years old... they're twins.)

Favorite vacations:
My favorite vacations were to Provo to visit my sisters while they were students at BYU.
I'd always make my dad drive me past the stadium.

Wedding information:
I'll let you know when it happens! :) Ha.

Favorite Rivalry or someone you have always wanted to play:
I'm from a small country town in Idaho named, Weiser. In Weiser you had to choose: either University of Idaho Vandals or Boise State Broncos. I hated the Broncos my whole life.
Even though I'm excited to see BYU play against my home-state favorite, U of Idaho (we are going to destroy them), I really can't wait until we re-match against Boise State.
I've got 2004 on my mind and revenge is sweet! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Background

Hello BYU football families. Welcome to our "Cougar Pride" blog. Our hope is to enrich our collegiate experience by bringing our families closer together. We want to get to know you better and look forward spotlighting different families in our Den.